Kaumatua Fred Hamiona, of Ngati Haua from Te Iti o Haua marae, Tauwhare, led the school community in the blessing of this major classroom refurbishment.
Board Chair, Brad Ward, and School Principal, Bernard Butler also spoke.
Not only are the classrooms reconfigured into a large, colourful, and flexible learning area but the new verandah and access on the west side of the building have further enhanced the use of this prime space.
Built near the Factory in 1917 as the first school building this part of the school was moved to its present site in 1920. Matangi school had been using the Matangi Hall from 1910.
Construction for the current project revealed some interesting memorabilia – maybe someone will recall seeing the wallpaper, losing the rugby ball or even bringing the gun cartridge to school as a duck shooting trophy to share?